Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Akagera

It's safari time! 

I spent Saturday of this past weekend exploring Akagera National Park in the eastern region of Rwanda. The park borders Tanzania's famous Serengeti but is smaller and has less animals. Sadly, the few lions that exist were no where to be seen and the elephants were being camera shy so I only saw them from afar. 

For those of you familiar with safaris, the "Big Five" animals (lion, African elephant, cape buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros) are especially sought after by tourists. The term was coined by hunters because these animals are the most difficult to hunt on foot and can be very dangerous when cornered. I'm don't think that translates into them being the most interesting to see but I would give the safari another try if it meant I would see a lion!

Regardless, the safari experience was amazing and for the first time I saw some really unique animals in a non-zoo setting! Here are some of my favorite pictures from the trip...

Impalas - these were everywhere

Cape buffalo - one of the "Big Five"

Giraffe! My personal favorite

Did you ever notice how much Shrek resembles a hippo? I think it's the ears.

Beautiful zebras





1 comment:

  1. You're right about Shrek & hippos!

    & the impalas are so cute. Thanks for the photos!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

SGBV Intern at the International Center for AIDS Care and Treatment Programs (ICAP) in Kigali, Rwanda

Followers